To support the preparation of participants in the Botnet Mitigation Course, the Centre provides an online web-based course on fighting a botnet attack (case study). This course is open to all individuals from NATO CCDCOE Sponsoring Nations, Contributing Participants and NATO bodies. The course can be accessed through the NATO e-Learning Joint Advanced Distributed Learning Portal.
- Give examples of the goals behind botnet attacks and describe the botnet attack chain step by step.
- Give examples of the ways of making the planning of a botnet attack harder for attackers
- Describe the methods of delivery of a malicious code and the measures that an organization can take to prevent, discover and block malware delivery attempts
- Explain why it is important to look for indicators of persistence of a malicious payload
- List the methods to use to protect an infrastructure against the execution of a botnet attack
The TA of this module is the same TA, as the targeted TA of the Botnet Mitigation Course.
- A case study of a botnet attack is presented
- Measures to be taken to detect and counteract a botnet attack in each of its phases are described
The requirements of the Botnet Mitigation Course apply.
The course can be accessed through the NATO e-Learning Joint Advanced Distributed Learning portal and is available to all users of the portal. Once registered, users may access the course by navigating to the ‘Centres of Excellence’ -> ‘COE Cyber Defence’ -> ‘Fighting a Botnet Attack: A Case Study’ course listing.